HOW TO REGISTER A TRADE MARK
For more information on ARIPO Trade Mark Registrations click here.
1. The requirements for filing applications in Uganda are as follows:
- Full name, street address and description of the applicant (including trading style, if any, and state/ country of incorporation, if incorporated).
- List of goods and/ or services.
- A simply signed power of attorney.
- Clear print of the mark.
- The Trademarks Act No.17 of 2010, in force since September 3rd, 2010 states that the 9th edition of the Nice classification of goods and services consisting of 45 classes is applied.
- Multi-class - No.
- Duration: 7 years from date of application and renewable for further periods of 10 years (even if priority is claimed, the date is still calculated from application date).
- Use: If a mark has not been used for a continuous period of 5 years, it can be removed.
- Marking: Not compulsory, but advisable.
- Licenses: Must be recorded at the Registrar.
- Collective marks: Registrable.
- Assignments of applications are permitted.
- Searches available within approximately 7-14 working days from instruction and are conducted on an online official register.
4. Costs USD
- a) Application: First trade mark (including compulsory search) $1360.00; additional marks filed simultaneously $1300.00 each.
b) Publication fees: $230.00 per mark (quarter page)
c) Registration fees: $450.00 per mark.
d) Priority claim: $125.00 per mark.
- Assignment: First trade mark (within 6 months of acquisition) $750.00, additional trade marks filed simultaneously $550.00 each.
- Change of name: First trade mark/class $490.00, additional trade marks filed simultaneously $380.00 each.
- Change of address: First trade mark/ class $480.00, additional trade marks filed simultaneously $310.00 each.
- Licences: First trade mark $910.00, additional trade marks filed simultaneously $380.00 each.
- a) Renewal: First class $990.00, additional classes renewed simultaneously $790.00 each.
b) Late renewal fine (2 months grace period): $140.00 per mark.
- Search: 1 trade mark in 1 class $480.00; additional classes $300.00 each.
* Please note that the application fee covers the filing costs and normal prosecution of the application only. Additional costs could well arise upon examination of the application which are difficult to estimate as it would depend on the various requirements raised by the Registrar i.e. disclaimers, admissions etc.
** Please further note that registration fees are dependable on the year in which the mark reaches registration.
*** Above quotations exclude courier charges.
HOW TO REGISTER A PATENT OR DESIGN
In our experience, it is better to file an ARIPO regional application designating at least Uganda rather than a national application directly in Uganda. The main reason for our opinion is that ARIPO is run by WIPO and, accordingly, operates much more efficiently than the Uganda Patent and Design Offices. Furthermore, the cost of filing an ARIPO application designating only Uganda is about the same as the cost of filing a national application directly in Uganda. A further benefit of the ARIPO route is that it is possible to designate other ARIPO member countries by paying additional designation fees at a relatively nominal surcharge.
For more information on ARIPO Patent Registrations click here.
For more information on ARIPO Design Registrations click here.