HOW TO REGISTER A TRADE MARK
For more information on ARIPO Trade Mark Registrations click here.
1. The requirements for applications filed directly in Sudan are as follows:
- Full name, street address and description of the applicant (including trading style, if any, and state/ country of incorporation, if incorporated).
- List of goods and/ or services.
- A special power of attorney, notarised and stamped with company seal.
- Clear print of the device mark.
- Block for each class of product or service.
- Certificate of Incorporation for companies (if necessary, with a legalized translation into English), legalised up to the Sudanese Consulate.
- At time of grant, the TMO will request an affidavit from the applicant attesting that the company has not changed its address nor sold the mark.
- The 8th Edition of the International Classification (Nice Agreement) is followed.
- Multi-class - No
- Class 33 and alcoholic goods in class 32 cannot be registered.
- Duration: 10 years from date of application and renewable for further periods of 10 years (even if priority is claimed, the date is still calculated from application date).
- Use: Not compulsory.
- Marking: Compulsory.
- Licenses: Permitted.
- Assignments of applications are permitted.
- Searches available within approximately 1 - 5 weeks (depends on TMO) from instruction.
4. Costs USD
- a) Application: First trade mark/ class $970.00; additional marks filed simultaneously $860.00 each.
b) Publication fees: $310.00 per mark.
c) Registration fees: $250.00 per mark.
d) Claiming priority: $70.00 per mark.
- Assignment: Fist trade mark $790.00, additional trade marks filed simultaneously $500.00 each.
- Change of name or address: First trade mark $390.00, additional trade marks filed simultaneously $300.00 each.
- a) Renewal: First mark $890.00, additional marks renewed simultaneously $750.00 each.
b) Renewal: Late renewal fine (6 month grace period): $190.00.
- Search: 1 mark in 1 class - From $380.00; additional classes $220.00 each.
Search: Each additional mark $280.00.
* Please note that the application fee covers the filing costs and normal prosecution of the application only. Additional costs could well arise upon examination of the application which are difficult to estimate as it would depend on the various requirements raised by the Registrar i.e. disclaimers, admissions etc.
** Please further note that publication and registration fees are dependable on the year in which the mark reaches publication/registration.
*** Above quotations exclude courier charges.
HOW TO REGISTER A PATENT OR DESIGN
In our experience, it is better to file an ARIPO regional application designating at least Sudan rather than a national application directly in Sudan. The main reason for our opinion is that ARIPO is run by WIPO and, accordingly, operates much more efficiently than the Sudanese Patent and Design Offices. Furthermore, the cost of filing an ARIPO application designating only Sudan is about the same as the cost of filing a national application directly in Sudan. A further benefit of the ARIPO route is that it is possible to designate other ARIPO member countries by paying additional designation fees at a relatively nominal surcharge.
For more information on ARIPO Patent Registrations click here.
For more information on ARIPO Design Registrations click here.