HOW TO REGISTER A PATENT
Patent protection in Burundi is available via a national filing. Burundi is a member of the International Convention, but is not a member of PCT.
The requirements for filing an application in Burundi are as follows:
- a power of attorney (simply signed) - can be late filed within 2 months;
- priority assignment with French translation - can be late filed within 3 months;
- specification, claims, abstract and drawings in the French - required on the day of filing; and
- a certified copy of the priority application with verified French translation of cover page - can be late filed within 3 months.
The cost of filing a patent application in Burundi is currently in the region of between about US$ 3300.00 and US$ 3500.00. To this must be added about US$ 300.00 for each priority claim.
Should it be required, we can assist with the preparat ion of any translation from English to French at a cost of US$ 30.00 per 100 words.
HOW TO REGISTER A DESIGN
Burundi is a member of the International Convention.
The requirements for filing a design application in Burundi are as follows:
- a power of attorney (simply signed) - required on the day of filing;
- description and title of design in French - required on the day of filing;
- 2 sets of formal drawings - required on the day of filing;
- international classification - required on the day of filing;
- certified copy of priority document with French translation - can be late filed within 3 months; and
- priority assignment if applicant in Burundi differs from applicant of priority document - can be late filed within 3 months.
We estimate that the cost of fiing a design application in Burundi will be between about US$ 3000.00 and US$ 3200.00. To this must be added the fees for claiming each priority date at about US$ 110.00 per priority claim.
HOW TO REGISTER A TRADEMARK
1. Filing requirements
1.1 Full name, street address and description of the applicant (including trading style, if any, and state/country of incorporation, if incorporated).
1.2 List of goods and/or services.
1.3 A simply signed power of attorney.
1.4 Clear print of device mark.
1.5 If Convention priority is claimed: a certified copy of the basic application together with a verified French translation thereof.
2.1 The International classification of Goods and Services (Nice Classification) is applied.
2.2 Multiclass - Yes.
3.1a Duration: 10 years from date of application and renewable for further periods of 10 years.
3.1b Duration if priority claimed: 10 years from priority date and renewable from further periods of 10 years.
3.2 Use: Not required but advisable.
3.3 Marking : Not required, but advisable.
3.4 Licenses: No provision to record a license officially. Licensees can be appointed by private contract.
3.5 Assignments: Of pending applications are permitted.
3.6 Searches available within approximately 2-3 weeks from instruction and are conducted on an online official register.
4. Costs USD
4.1a Application: 1-3 classes: $1530.00, additional classes filed simultaneously $250.00 each.
4.1b Additional trade marks filed simultaneously $1395.00 each.
4.1c Registration fees: $250.00 per mark.
4.1d Claiming priority: $60.00.
4.2 Assignment: First trade mark $900.00, additional trade marks filed simultaneously $750.00 each.
4.3 Change of name or address: First trade mark $750.00, additional marks filed simultaneously $690.00 each.
4.4a Renewal: 1-3 classes $1150.00, additional classes renewed simultaneously $480.00 each.
4.4b Additional marks renewed simultaneously $990.00 each.
4.4c Late renewal fine per late month: $160.00 per mark.
4.5 Search: 1 mark in any number of classes: $610.00; additional marks $510.00 each.
*Above quotations exclude courier charges.
**Please note that the application fee covers the filing costs and normal prosecution of the application only. Additional costs could well arise upon examination of the application which are difficult to estimate as it would depend on the various requirements raised by the Registrar i.e. disclaimers, admissions etc.
***Please further note that registration fees are dependable on the year in which the mark reaches registration.